Safety and Crashes
BE VISIBLE-ride and be seen, does not hurt to sway a little in your lane remember on a motorcycle each lane is divided into 3 left, center, right always ride in the best position to be seen.
- COMMUNICATE YOUR INTETIONS-this does not mean flipping off the vehicle next to you.it means use your turn signals and brake light and lane position.
- MAINTAIN ADEQUATE SPACE CUSHION-leave space between your self and the vehicle in front of you usually 3-4 seconds this gives you time to react in case of emergency (vehicles pulling out from streets, changing lanes ,or hitting brakes for no reason)
- SEARCH YOUR PATH-pay attention look ahead at least 12 seconds lead time to identify road hazards garbage on the road, other vehicles, potholes, deep ruts, fallen tree limbs, rocks,pedestrians.
- BE PREPARED TO ACT-this does not mean jamming your brakes sometimes slowing down will give you time to make it thru an obstacle or swerving left or right dependent on where the obstacle is,if you have to jam your brakes use both front and rear at the same time.
- When you are on a motorcycle any kind remember no one is looking for you. Coming up to an intersection do not ride along the curb. Vehicles making right turns at the intersection will not be able to see you.There vision can be blocked by light poles,pedestrians,power boxes,bus stops,etc. You are better off riding in the left side or center of the lane to be seen. Also you are not in your car you are on a motorcycle. Don’t speed up to try and scare cars off.BE SAFE
CRASHES AND STORIES
- CRASHES: Had a friend of mine put his bike down making a u-turn.As he was coming around he didn’t notice a rock in the road.Didn’t hurt himself but had to buy a new mirror, clutch lever and housing for his light switch assembly. PAY ATTENTION!!
- CRASHES:I put mine down once too.Following a car thought he’s going thru the light instead he locked up his brakes and went into a slide.So I jammed my back brake(not both brakes front and rear )went into a slide and laid it down .Well managed to walk away bruised hip sore knee,bike bent handle bars, broken clutch lever, dent in tank,multiple scrapes on t/s lights and lower exhaust pipe.PAY ATTENTION!!!
- CRASHES:Here is another one accelerated thru a corner hit loose sand .His bike lost traction bike went one way he went the other way.Damge to bike scratched cases,frame and dented tank.Rider scraped knee torn jeans (glad he wasn’t wearing shorts)walked away.Another damaged pride case.PAY ATTENTION!!!
- OOPS:Don’t take your bike of the truck after a couple beers.Work with a guy who lost the keys to his Harley at work. Instead of having a company come and make him a key.He decided to load it up in his truck and take it to them. The company made him his new keys and he was off. When he arrived at home he decided to have a couple beers before unloading his bike. He set up the ramps climbed in the bed and started rolling down the ramp.That’s when the ramps started to separate and him and his bike went off the edge of the ramp.Good news he walked away bruised ego only.His Harley was not so lucky bent up the rear fender and some minor scratches on the side.Used fender $75, keys $35 to bring motorcycle to them ,keys $45 if the company came out to do it. Should have spent the extra $10 rode home and had a beer.
- PIZZA GUY:Heard a story about two guys out riding around.When a pizza guy pulled out in front of them.The first rider swerved away the second rider had no where to go.Hit his brakes and the bike flipped 6 times end over end.Three times with him on it.The first rider watched it happen and was shocked to see his friend stand up.Yup he walked away road rashed and pissed but no broken bones.The motorcycle was not so lucky smashed fairings,saddlebags,torn off peg(still in that street),bent bars, Hole punched thru rocker cover to name a few things.Good news for the bike it is now ride able again tho it still needs work. WATCH OUT FOR PIZZA GUYS!!!